Richard Stephen Austin, a native of Blacksburg, Virginia, is the son of Vernon Childrey and Hattie Wiggins Austin. He graduated from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University with a B.S. in Biology. LTC Austin is a retired Lieutenant Colonel, U.S. Army, and enjoyed a career with the U.S. Departments of Transportation and Labor, as an acquisition officer. He is married to Dorothy Rhea Cochran Austin. The Austins have one daughter, Patricia Louise Austin Ting.
- National Society Sons of Colonial New England (Governor General)
- Order of the First Families of Connecticut (Treasurer General)
- Hereditary Order of the Families of the Presidents and First Ladies of America (Treasurer General)
- National Society of Sons of American Colonists (Deputy Governor General
- National Society Sons of the American Revolution (former Librarian General)
- National Society Sons and Daughters of the Pilgrims (District of Columbia Branch Governor)
- Order of the Founders and Patriots of America (former Registrar and Counselor of the Virginia and District of Columbia Societies)
- Ordo Sancti Constantini Magni (Officer, KSM Bailie of the East
Mr. Austin is a former Senior Warden, Episcopal Church, Diocese of Virginia.